Step One Hundred and Twenty-Three


Step 123. I Will Not Pity Myself Today.
How can you pity yourself when Knowledge is with you? Pity must only reassert an old idea of yourself, which is bereft of truth, bereft of hope and bereft of any meaningful foundation. Do not pity yourself today, for you are not pitiful. If this day is sad or confused, it is only because you have lost contact with Knowledge, which you may practice today to regain.

As you practice today, be aware of the many subtle forms of self-pity that you entertain. Be aware of the many subtle forms of manipulation of others as you attempt to make them like or accept you according to a view of yourself that you are attempting to claim. When you are with Knowledge, you do not need to proclaim yourself; you do not need to show yourself; you do not need to control others to like or accept you, for Knowledge is with you.

Therefore, do not pity yourself, for you are not pitiful. Today be a beginning student of Knowledge, for that is anything but pitiful. A greater vantage point you cannot imagine.

Upon the hour, then, repeat this idea. Allow it to enter your mind and consider it for a moment. In your two practice periods, repeat this affirmation and then enter into stillness. No being who is pitiful can enter into silence, for silence is the experience of profound relationship, and stillness is the acceptance of profound love. Who can be pitiful under such circumstances?

Practice 123: Two 30-minute practice periods. Hourly practice.

Here you will find the entire book free for download http://stepstoknowledge.com/

Here you will find pointers for getting started if this is your first encounter with this practice: Taking the Steps to Knowledge.

April 22, 2013 Round One: This is another very pertinent Step for me, since in the past I have indulged in self-pity and been consumed with thoughts about the impression I am making on others, particularly – are people accepting me according to my view of myself? Of course, it is difficult to totally erase these feelings of pity and attempts to make a good impression on others as quickly as I would like. However, I think that being aware of them and trying to adjust and correct them as they appear – “nipping them in the bud” so to speak – is a valuable behavior to pursue, and that is what I am practicing today. I am particularly focusing on the concepts of not needing to proclaim myself, and not needing to show myself – this is very potent stuff.


November 23, 2014 Round Two: I am happy to realize that I have made significant progress in this area of self-pity since the last time I did this step. It is very rare for me to pity myself these days. Knowledge is with me, for I do not need to proclaim myself; I do not need to show myself; I do not need to control others to like or accept me. I am appreciating myself more and more just the way I am. I don’t need to please anyone, meaning act in a specific way that I think is going to please them or get them to like me more. If I am doing my best, acting with compassion and understanding for others, there can be no reason to pity myself, I cannot be pitiful.

November 1, 2018 Round Three: I feel I have integrated this Step into my life. I cannot remember the last time I pitied myself. Nor do I proclaim myself or show myself or try to manipulate others into accepting me. Take me or leave me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step Three Hundred and Seventeen

Step Three Hundred and Twelve

Step Three Hundred and Fifteen